Hardly any shops seem to stock heart shaped cake pans throughout the year. As it turns out, they are only available around Valentine’s day.
If you haven’t bought one around this time of the year, you may find this little trick I learned on eHow.com pretty useful.
Here’s a more concise version of the article:
– Bake a round cake of a suitable size
– Use the base of the round cake tin to cut out a circle on a piece of card paper.
– Fold the circle into half
– Draw half a heart shape one semi-circle and cut out along these lines (DON’T: Make the heart too slim as this means you would end up with lesser cake)
– Unfold and you will get a perfectly even heart shape
– Use this as a stencil to cut out a heart shape from your sponge
– Use a carving knife to give smoother edges
– Layer and frost the cake as normal
This is what I managed to achieve: