These light and fluffy scallop-shaped cakes are perfect as an anytime snack!
1 large egg
50g caster sugar
7g Demerara sugar
a pinch of salt
3/4th tsp baking powder
60g plain flour
60g melted butter
zest of 1 lemon
NOTE: It is very important to prepare the Madeleine tin properly or else you won’t be able to get them out in one piece.
For this you will need:
2-3 tbsp melted butter
Here’s how to do this:
Brush some melted butter liberally onto each scallop mould of the tin.
Leave the tin in the fridge or a cold room for 15-20 minutes or till you can see that the butter has set.
Then brush some more butter into each mould.
Sprinkle some flour till the moulds are coated well and you can’t see the butter on them.
Turn the tin upside down and bang out the excess flour.
Make the Madeleine batter:
– Whisk eggs and caster sugar in a bowl.
– Add demerara sugar, honey and lemon zest and blend nicely.
– Sift the flour, salt and baking powder 2-3 times.
– Blend it into the egg mixture a little at a time, to avoid lumps.
– Cling film the bowl and leave the mixture to chill for 15-20 minutes.
– Add melted butter to the batter and mix it in.
– Place back in the fridge for another 15 minutes.
– Add the mixture to a piping bag
Pipe the mixture in an oval shape in the middle of each mould.
Bake at 180° C for 12-15 minutes.
Turn on to the wire rack.